Monday, August 1, 2005

Cocktail of the Week Redux: "M" for Molotov.

Molotov Cocktail

1 1/2 oz vodka
1 splash 151 proof rum

Pour a shot of vodka (preferably Russian) into a shot glass. Float the 151, ignite, blow out, and shoot.

It's interesting that reader, Unique Alias, brought up "Molotov Cocktail."  I was with my brother and father this weekend.  I was telling them about my neighbor Jill (that they both know) and how her husband who is studying to be a mining engineer had ordered a book online for his schoolwork (recommended by the professor, mind you), about explosives and blowing things up.  Well...this is what mining engineers do, right?  My neighbor had asked me not long ago if the FBI had come to see me, as  "The Bureau" had been in the neighborhood investigating her husband, after he ordered this book.  Homeland Security and all of that.

 I was telling Jill's story to my father and brother, and they were laughing, but both had ties to NASA so they understood ( I should add, we seem to breed a family of security clearances.)  My father was teasing me about my interest in Russia and China in high school and how at one time I had subscribed to these journals and magazines coming directly from said countries and my father was so afraid he'd be at risk for investigation.  When my Dad brought this story up again on Saturday we were laughing about it, but the minute he said it, the whole situation came back to me.   To my parent's credit, they never stopped their daughter's inquiring mind and they stood by and let me explore my mind's fancies. 

 Toast to you both:   Желаю тебе/вам счастья.     (I wish you happiness.)

Thunderbird Air Force Barbie & Ken Deluxe Set

 

 

  

  Thunderbird Barbie and Ken:  Aim High

 

 

 

 

P.S.  I never could stomach Barbie and Ken.  I still think there's something creepy about them.

P.P.S.  While we were sitting on my brother's deck, eating crabs (which I'm going to be writing about), my brother and father started discussing the problems the shuttle has been having (since we're on the topic of NASA), and my brother was giving this technical explanation of what he would do to correct a specific problem.  My father said to him "Do you know what I'd do to fix it?  "What?," said my brother.  Dad paused and said "I'd recommend they use chicken wire....chicken wire and duct tape."  My brother walked right into that one.  This, of course, lead to a discussion of how just useful chicken wire and duct tape really are.

         

                 Memo To NASA:  Chicken Wire and Duct Tape

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truth is stranger than fiction:  one of the repairs done on the shuttle this week involved the use of a tool which itself consisted partly of duct tape.  Yes.  Duct tape in space!  

Anonymous said...

Well if duct tape can hold together a car, why not the shuttle?  It is after all the "universal fix-it-all"

>^, ,^<