Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Designing Cards

Last year during a burst of energy, I began to design cards for friends.  I created about twelve different templates that could be varied in terms of pop-ups and cutouts, and I went to Pearl Arts & Crafts and stocked up on handmade papers with varied colored and textures to play around with in the design.  I also bought new brushes and watercolors.  The work actually began the August before when I designed the lovebird card for my friend's wedding shower.  Their wedding colors were burgundy and gold, and I created an interlocking spiral that had a pair of lovebirds that twirled on a piece of thread in the center.  I also created all of the envelopes to go with the cards, and I worked up about four templates (eight total) in two sizes to accommodate all of the card styles.

 

                    

                          Joe & Dani's Lovebirds Wedding Card

 

       

                         Harriet's Penguin Birthday Card

In January, I started working on the cards with more involvement, and I did an origami penguin with a handpainted watercolored card on art paper; the penguin sitting on an ice floe, and I painted the envelope to carry over from the card design.  This went on all spring, then I got busy with...I don't know..life, and I dropped it all, right in the middle of a new design involving pop-up sailboats for a friend in Annapolis.  I want to get back to this as I felt I was accomplishing something interesting with my designs.

 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cards are definitely lovely!
I treasure the corset card you sent to me.
Everyone who has seen it marvels at the
details.

Lee

Anonymous said...

I only have one photograph of the corset card, Thi, that I took while it was still under construction.  Want to shoot it for me, front and back?  ;)

Anonymous said...

I took a few of them - the camera is pretty old,
so these are rather blurry, sideways, and raw.
<a href="http://conventofthebridesofvirtue.com/cc1.jpg">One</a>,
<a href="http://conventofthebridesofvirtue.com/cc2.jpg">Two</a>,
<a href="http://conventofthebridesofvirtue.com/cc3.jpg">Three</a>,
<a href="http://conventofthebridesofvirtue.com/cc4.jpg">Four</a>,
<a href="http://conventofthebridesofvirtue.com/cc5.jpg">Five</a>.

Lee

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miss Thi.  I copied and saved.  I'll Photoshop them to show.  You're a peach.

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE I STILL HAVE THE LOVEBIRDS CARD!

Do you think I could get rid of anything that lovely?  No way!

>^, ,^<
Wrethy

Anonymous said...

HUBBA-HUBBA...I remember a time when at a Renaissance Festival I had the honor to thread and help tighten the corset of a good friend...THAT was an experience that I will never forget...but I digress...

T-Cubed

Anonymous said...

Holy crap--those are gorgeous. My friend who lives in NYC and does a lot of the same stuff shops at Kate's Paperie (sp?). That place is AMAZING!!

xoxo,

Miss Penny Lane

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miss Penny.  You are very kind.

Anonymous said...

Holy march of the penguins!  That is one really beautiful card with the 'guins.  Loved the movie!