Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Guest Blogger: Lori - Rants On Pants

I am writing to you today to tell you that I am through caring about who ends up as a justice of the Supreme Court. I could give a flying fart about whether or not Rafael Palmeiro did or did not purposefully do steroids. These issues, and many others like them, are now small potatoes to me. I have finally found my calling in life, and I am writing today to urge you to climb aboard my bandwagon, to join my quest to make positive changes on a subject that certainly affects all Americans, if not all the people of the world.  Get on your computers, fire up your fax machines and tell your Congressmen that it’s time to do something about an issue that affects us all: women’s clothing sizes.

 

I honestly don’t know why we’ve let this problem go on for as long as we have without doing anything about it. I did some checking today at the library hoping to figure out where it all started and still I am completely baffled.  I decided to start at the beginning. I already knew that over the milllennia many religious sects have required women to wear dresses, so I dug up a copy of the Bible and checked to see what other requirements might be in there. You know what I found? I read through the whole Adam and Eve debacle and while God does guarantee Eve that she’ll have pain in childbirth for the original sin, nowhere in the book of Genesis does he state that she won’t be able to find a consistent clothing size. Go ahead and check.  It’s not in there, I swear.  Personally I’ve never had a child but I’m willing to bet that most women would tell you that the YEARS of pain and aggravation generated by irresponsible clothing manufacturers is far worse than the few HOURS of pain associated with childbirth.

 

For the men in the audience who truly don’t understand what I’m talking about, nor why women have to try on “every piece of clothing in every damn store,” let me explain: (If you’re a woman, go ahead and skip ahead. You already understand perfectly don’t you?)  You go into a store, lets say The Gap, and you try on a pair of jeans, size 8. They fit perfectly. You buy them. Happiness ensues.  A little later that same day you’re in another store, lets say The Limited, and you try on a pair of jeans, size 8. You can’t get into those bastards to save your life. This is because The Gap’s size 8 is not now nor ever will be The Limited’s size 8.  The problem isn’t restricted to just different store sizes either. You are in Hecht’s and you try on a pair of Dockers twill pants in khaki size 8. They fit fine. You then try on a pair of Dockers denim pants size 8. Nope. They’re too big. Same brand mind you, but two different sizes. However, that’s not the worst.  The worst one is: you try on a pair of Dockers twill pants in a khaki color size 8 and they fit. You buy not only the khaki color, but the black as well so that you have more than one pair of pants that fit at your disposal. You get these pairs of pants home and decide that you need to see how the black pair looks with the sweater you bought just last week. But here’s where the fun comes in: the black pair doesn’t fit you. They’re the SAME EXACT PAIR of pants as the khaki ones you just tried on less than an hour ago, but for some reason they just won’t fit. This, my male friends, is what women go through every day.

 

It’s enough to make a person crazy. A good friend of mine assures me that her husband can go into any store, walk to the men’s department, pick up a pair of 36’s, buy them without ever having to try them on and they’ll fit, no sweat. After all, a 36 measurement is a 36 measurement no matter where you go.  My father however assures me that men have similar problems. He promises me that he’s got two pair of size 34 jeans and one can be buttoned while the other can’t.   I can’t speak for either of them. All I can say is that no matter what size female you are be it 8 or be it 58 (if you’re smaller than an 8 go out and eat a “Happy Meal” toothpick!) the size you wear is not the size you wear. You’ve got 3 different sizes hanging up in that closet of yours, don’t you? I know I do. Most of them don’t fit either.

 

So my point, ladies and gentleman is that we need to get on our phones, computers and faxes and tell our legislators that something needs to be done. Stop worrying about the next Supreme Court Justice most of us won’t end up before him or her anyway.  If men want to pump themselves full of steroids and hit a thousand home runs... great. (It just means we’ll all get more sex! [At least until things start falling off!]) Just say, "Rafael Who???"  We need to stand up for regulated clothing sizes not only from store to store, but within each and every clothing line. Doing so will guarantee the sanity and happiness of all women everywhere and, surreptitiously, all men too. (Just think how little time you’ll have to spend waiting while your woman tries on clothes!!) Oh who am I kidding? We’ll still want to try on the whole store…  Thank you in advance for your support and Good Night.

 

             The Hep Hop Generation

 

 

 

not written by washington cube

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sistah!  

Can we have New York & Company decide the female sizes?  I like the fact that I wear a smaller size in their pants than anywhere else.I am tired of people expecting toothpicks to be the universal size marker too.    

While we are on the subject, can we be realistic here.  Did you know that an average woman in the US is a 14/16, depending on who makes the clothes (as we have already been reminded uniformity in size designation is sorely lacking.) I don't have too much against tiny women (ok, that's a lie.  Eat something! ), but have you ever looked on the clearance rack?  That should tell you that not too many woman actually wear a size 0, 2 or even 4.

I hate clothes shopping; always have (I was the "chubby" kid).  My mother used to have to bribe me to go shopping for new school clothes or any other type.  I still have to almost be at a bare thread to subject myself to the torture even today.

Oh the Horror!

>^, ,^<

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sister!  And then we go after the dry cleaners who charge more for a women's shirt than for a man's.  

This size madness is especially irking to me, since I like to shop via catalogue.  I can't tell you how many returns the "what size is an 8, anyway?" problem has caused me.  Order two pairs of pants from Nordstrom, in the same size, and guess what:  one may fit and the other will not.  Puh--leeeeeeze!

Anonymous said...

I find it gratifying to try on clothes in the size you believe you are, and then realize that you actually fit into a 4.  Those stores are onto something!

Anonymous said...

Why are you ranting about your pants, Lori, when you have men lusting after your shoes?  I could name ONE man who would kill for a pair....the perv.

Anonymous said...

NOW JUST WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I'm a victim of circumstances here! One time I was asked my opinion. I was shown different shoes that a certain bride was choosing for her bride's maids. I just happened to choose the ones that I thought would be the most attractive for the entire ceremony....and for THAT reason I am accused of being "a perv." I was just having fun when a certain bride's maid decided to take off those shoes and had those pictures taken...it was a wedding for krimminy's sake!!! And for THAT reason I'm branded for LIFE?

T-Squared

Anonymous said...

I went shirt shopping a few months ago. I went into 8-10
stores trying on shirts. None of them were exactly right.
My mother has a lot of patterns from the 40's-80's. All of
them from that era are FAR smaller than today's patterns,
by inches and inches, size for size. But, at least when you
make your own clothing, you can make it to fit!

Anonymous said...

I wanted a pair of boots and I don't like shopping much, I go into the store, hunt it down, kill it and take it home, and that day I was having a hard time.  I went to Macy's and the 'sales associate' showed me a pair of Timberlands in 11 1/2, and when I asked for the 11 he said they didn't have it.  Well the cute young thing @ Nordstrom had it and showed it to me, the boots that is, in 11 so I bought 'em.  They felt good but I wanted to feel the 11 1/2s next to 'em, so the next day I went back to Macy's and the young 'assistant' let me try on both pairs, and even though the 11 1/2 felt good, they were like Henri, the French-bohemian (?) artist, Toulouse for Lautrec.  ANYWAY, later on @ home I checked my shoes and I have everything from size 11 to 13 that I'm wearing comfortably, thank you.  So what does it all mean Mr. Natural ?  Size doesn't matter... heh heh heh...